When an allergen comes into contact with an individual's body, it can trigger an adverse immune system reaction, even though it is not inherently harmful. This means that if we have an allergy to something, our immune system will respond poorly to foreign substances.
In the instance of a plant allergy, the immune system may react upon exposure to certain plants, such as poison oak, poison sumac, and poison ivy. These allergens can cause symptoms such as itchy skin, eyes, coughing, and others.
What are Poison Oak, Poison Ivy, and Poison Sumac Allergens?
Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants indigenous to America, and are prevalent in most parts of the United States, except for Alaska, Hawaii, and the Southwest deserts.
Although poison sumac typically resembles a shrub, poison oak and poison ivy are quite similar. Poison oak leaves have hairy undersides that are always lighter in color. Poison ivy, which is more common in the western United States, grows as a vine or shrub.
Exposure to these poisonous plants results in an allergic reaction due to the presence of urushiol, a harsh oil sap found in their resins.
Sensitivity and subsequent allergy to these oils develop after a single contact. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may occur 24 to 72 hours after exposure to any of these plants.
The distribution of plant oils is contingent on whether they are eliminated from the skin, shoes, or clothing. It is not possible to transfer an allergic reaction from one individual to another by touching the blisters or ingesting the fluid inside them.
Why Do These Plants Trigger Allergy Reactions?
Exposure to urushiol, a chemical present in the resins of poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac plants, can cause skin allergies. These plants can trigger allergic reactions that result in itchy rashes, which may appear immediately or take a few days to show. Urushiol can also be found in the leaves, stems, and roots of these plants. Furthermore, the oil containing this chemical can continue to function for up to a year even after the plant has died.
Exposure to certain chemicals can cause itchy rashes to form on the skin. After exposure to urushiol, the immune system recognizes the irritating molecule present on the skin.
Following the application of a chemical to the skin, the immune system prepares for a defensive reaction. This can make the skin more susceptible, increasing the likelihood of an allergic reaction upon subsequent exposure to the substance.
How Can One Develop Allergies to These Plants?
Physical contact with plants, as well as touching objects such as gardening tools, camping equipment, or animals that have been in contact with plants, can easily result in transmission from one person to another.
When plants are burned, the chemicals they contain are released into the air, potentially exposing the skin and causing life-threatening allergic reactions by entering the throat, lungs, and nasal passages.
How Prevalent are Allergies to Poison Ivy-Like Plants?
According to the study, three out of every four people are susceptible to exposure to these three poisonous plants, but the level of reaction can vary from person to person. These three plants are the most common triggers of allergic reactions.
Instances of poison allergies are more common during spring, summer, and early fall when people are more likely to spend time outdoors.
What are the Symptoms?
Poison ivy, oak, and sumac all contain the same chemical called urushiol, resulting in similar symptoms. Upon exposure, the affected area may become itchy, red, and sporadically swollen, causing a flare-up of rashes in streaky or patchy patterns. Over time, the rashes may progress to papules or large oozing blisters.
Typically, rashes caused by urushiol last between five to twelve days and may not cause much discomfort. However, in severe cases, they can last up to 30 days or more.
The diagnosis of a reaction involves several factors, including the typical pattern of symptoms, the presence of rashes, the patient's medical history, and the results of a physical examination after contact with the irritant chemical urushiol on the skin.
How is the Reaction Treated?
The rashes can still be treated in a few different ways, even if there is no treatment for the allergic reaction to the poison.
To alleviate the itchiness, your physician may suggest the use of over-the-counter drugs, such as calamine lotion. They may also recommend taking a bath with colloidal oatmeal or baking soda, which can be easily obtained from the nearby pharmacy. Moreover, oral steroids are often prescribed in conjunction with oral antihistamines.
In case the reaction is severe or involves mucous membranes, such as those in the eyes, nose, mouth, or genitals, prescription medications like prednisone may be necessary to control the symptoms.
If you notice a rash or blisters on any part of your body, including your face, eyes, or genital area, and have a temperature higher than 100°F (38°C), it is crucial to contact your healthcare provider immediately.
After a thorough medical history and physical examination, your healthcare provider may suggest using a steroid cream, tablet, or injection to alleviate the swelling and itching.
If you wish to explore further about immunotherapy for treating the allergic reaction, it's important to note that it's not a viable option for individuals who are allergic to poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac.
Can You Prevent an Allergic Reaction to Poison Ivy-Like Plants?
Here are some precautions you can take to prevent an adverse reaction from poisonous plants:
Familiarize yourself with the appearance of poison plants and avoid contact with them.
If you have poison plants in your garden, remove them, especially from areas where you may be working.
When hiking in the woods, cover your skin as much as possible by wearing long-sleeved shirts, long pants, closed-toe shoes, and socks, and don't forget to wear a mask.
Keep your pets away from poison plants and avoid touching them if they come into contact with poison ivy.
Wash your clothes and shoes immediately after being in areas near poison plants.
Thoroughly clean your body after potential exposure to poison plants.
Are Rashes Due to Poison Ivy, Oak, or Sumac Contagious?
There is a common misconception that rashes caused by poisonous plants can spread through contact with infected individuals. However, this can only occur if urushiol, the irritant found in poison plants, is present on their skin and then transferred to yours. It's important to note that the rash won't spread by scratching or coming into contact with the fluid from the blisters.
Using gardening tools, sports equipment, or any other objects that have not been adequately cleaned after exposure to poison plants may increase the risk of getting the rash again..
About 85% of individuals have an allergic reaction when exposed to poison plants, which is typically characterized by a rash, pimples, and itchy blisters. While there is no known cure for this type of allergic reaction, there are treatments available to alleviate the symptoms. The most effective prevention method is to avoid contact with poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac plants.
Sign up for our newsletter
Navigating Immigration Health Exams with trüPathways
Navigating Immigration Health Exams with trüPathways
Immigrating to a new country is an exciting yet challenging process. One of the most critical steps is completing the immigration medical exam, which involves extensive health screening tests and vaccinations. The exam aims to ensure immigrants do not have health conditions that could pose a public health risk to the host country. While essential, navigating the complex immigration health exam process can be extremely overwhelming for applicants.
If you are immigrating to the United States, one of the requirements is completing a medical examination. This immigration health exam is mandatory for all immigrants to show that they are free from health conditions that could make them inadmissible. Locating an authorized civil surgeon to perform this exam is a key step in the immigration process.