Poison Ivy

Allergies can affect people of all ages and genders. There are thousands of allergens present in our environment. The body's immune system's response to these allergens varies from person to person and can include symptoms such as itching, sneezing, and rashes. One type of allergic reaction that can affect children is a poison ivy rash.

What Is Poison Ivy?   

Poison ivy is a common plant found in the US, similar to poison oak and poison sumac. When children come into contact with this plant, they can develop dermatic allergies due to the chemicals released by the body's immune system in response to the plant. As a result, many children are allergic to poison ivy.

Poison Ivy Rash

A poison ivy rash is caused by an allergic reaction to the poison ivy plant. The allergic reaction is triggered by chemicals present in the plant, such as the oil urushiol. This oil can also be found in smoke produced when burning these plants and can easily transfer from the plant to other objects, including clothes and toys. Children who are near plants such as poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are at a high risk of experiencing an allergic reaction.

Symptoms Of Poison ivy Rash: 

One may show symptoms within a few hours or days after coming into contact with the poison ivy plant.

The symptoms of poison ivy rash include:

  1. Redness
  2. Swelling
  3. Bumps developing where the plant oil has touched the skin
  4. Bumps later developing into blisters
  5. Blisters sometimes breaking open and oozing
  6. Fluid from the blisters will not spread the rash
  7. Itching around the skin that has come into contact with the oil
  8. Sneezing or coughing if they are primarily exposed to the plant

How to Diagnose a Poison Ivy Rash?

If your child is experiencing symptoms or feeling unwell after coming into contact with poison ivy plants, seek medical attention immediately. A doctor or healthcare professional can provide a proper diagnosis and treatment. The doctor may ask about your child's health history and observe the symptoms before providing the necessary care.

Treatment for Poison Ivy

To treat poison ivy, provide proper medication to prevent its spread and potential complications.

You can take the following steps if your child is affected by poison ivy:

  1. Bathe your child in water mixed with colloidal oatmeal.
  2. Give your child cool and wet clothes to wear.
  3. Apply calamine solution or corticosteroid cream to the affected skin.
  4. If the child is experiencing severe itching, give them liquid diphenhydramine orally.
  5. If the symptoms are severe, such as inhaling a lot of smoke from the plant, having a large rash on the skin, or severe itching, contact a doctor immediately. The doctor may prescribe corticosteroid creams, liquids, or pills.
  6. Monitor the rash to ensure it is not spreading and take necessary precautions to prevent any bacterial infection. "

Prevention Tips   

It is important to teach children about these plants and to keep them from coming into contact with them. Maintaining good hygiene and taking precautions is crucial for preventing allergic reactions and complications. Parents should ensure that children are aware of allergens and how to avoid them, including washing clothes, shoes, and belongings frequently.

If a child shows symptoms after coming into contact with a plant, seek medical attention immediately and follow the recommended treatment. To prevent these problems, plants can be removed or relocated to areas where children cannot access them. Children can also be taught about plants, chemicals, and the allergic reactions caused by the immune system.

Parents should also take responsibility for any plants grown in their homes or nearby gardens. If there are pets in the home, be aware of how the children interact with them, as infections can be transmitted from pets to children. If a child is known to be allergic to something, take steps to avoid it in their daily life.


It is important for parents to be vigilant and take care of their children, especially when they are in close proximity to plants that can cause allergies such as poison ivy. It is also important to educate children about the things around them that can cause harm. As young learners, children are able to understand and absorb what they are taught. Teach them about the dangers of poison, what to touch and what to avoid, and how to stay safe.

Book Appointment

Sign up for our newsletter

Tru Health Logo